[Techtalk] OT but I'm desperate.... Windows....!

Michelle Howson a.howson at student.unsw.edu.au
Sun Oct 20 11:47:30 EST 2002

>I don't have the last message with me here at work, so I'm stripping out
>everything but my own text, but I did find something which may apply:
>

>KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (0x1E)
>
>This code is generated from several places in the kernel, including the
>system's exception handler. It occurs when an exception has occurred that
>the system was not expecting, and not able to handle via any exception
>handling mechanisms. <snip>  Its parameters are shown in Table 2.
>
>Table 2 then goes on to specify that parameter 0xc0000005 means an access
>violation in 0x629B53E8
>

>IOW, it sounds, oddly, like your printer is read only. Or something like
>that. Can you print to file with the same driver and/or set up a dummy
>printer (port=FILE)??  Just thoughts.... Hope this helps :)

Dummy printer?  guh?  Sorry this has gone almost completely over my
head.  Yet it does sound like something I should try.  Can you give me a
leettle more...?

>(reference: http://www.osr.com/ntinsider/1997/bsod/bsod.htm)

I had a different BSOD last night, unrelated to printing.  I'm pretty sure
it's because of the doctored version of Kazaa I'm using, as it threw up an
error just before the crash.  That time it was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.  I
went and tried to read about it at that website, but again, it mostly went
over my head. If anyone can translate it into medium-techie I'd appreciate
it.  Can be offlist if you'd prefer.

I've mentioned this before, but on girltalk -- how about setting up a
windows at linuxchix.org?  Many of us do have to use win as well as lx and
since we have established a simply wonderful environment & community for
problem solving and discussion, I think having a list dedicated to windows
might be a good plan.....would stop people like me posting here, OT!  Of
course it would only work if people with tech knowledge joined it as well,
obviously....

Anyway, I think that's it from me today.  Once I've finished one essay I
take some time to play with the things I've said I'll look at, and then
move onto the other essay.  So, will report back later, if things go to
plan.

Thanks again, everyone.  I hope to see light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Michelle