[Techtalk] network help, please

John White John.White at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 18 12:06:41 EST 2002

I have a home network problem that's run me out of ideas. It has 6 nodes,
4 downstairs, 2 upstairs. All downstairs nodes (Linux, Sun, Win98SE) are
directly connected to a Linksys switch without a problem. The 2 upstairs
are Win98SE boxes with Linksys USB Wireless NICs talking to the Linksys
switch downstairs. They both run the same Wireless driver version and,
up until a couple weeks ago, also ran without a problem. Now, one of them
still works fine and the other only works behind the switch. I can see
and access all other internal machines, so NetBEUI must be working, but
when I try to fire up any program that goes out to the world (Netscape,
IE, Kazaa, etc.), the program dies with a page fault, making me think
it's TCP/IP related. Ifconfig tells me exactly what I think it should.
Removing and reloading NIC drivers made no apparent difference. USB on
the working PC is through a PCI card, and on the bad PC, it's built-in
and enabled. No apparent weirdness in the Device Manager. The only thing
I've seen on the bad PC that looks odd is when it boots and shows which
interrupts are assigned to what contoller, the Serial Bus Controller is
listed twice on the same interrupt. I've tried disabling it in BIOS,
rebooting to check that it really went away, then re-enabling it. But,
when it comes back into the interrupt list, it's still there twice, even
if the Device Manager only shows it once. I don't know if this bears on
my immediate problem, though. I don't remember if it showed up twice
when it was working. Any thoughts? Need more info?

TIA,
John