[Techtalk] NO Start

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Wed Oct 16 22:08:17 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:10:41AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Beth Johnson thought:

> Did you set up /home on its own partition?  If you did, that will go a
> long way to saving stuff, as you then simply choose not to format that
> partition when you reinstall.  That and /etc holds just about everything
> that would be customized, but you can't put /etc on its own partition.

In theory you could.  You'd need a stub /etc containing a few minimal
files like /etc/fstab (itself containing the mount point for /etc) and a
couple of others.  Since the mounting of other filesystems happens pretty
early on, most of what /etc holds won't be needed until _after_ /etc has
been mounted.  Mind you, I've never tried this myself...

Conor (waiting for someone else to discover why this doesn't work)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)