[Techtalk] OT but I'm desperate.... Windows....!

Charlotte Oliver COliver at casedesign.com
Wed Oct 16 13:28:40 EST 2002

> System information: home built computer...  AMD-K6 mobo
> 500mhz, 128mg RAM (adding another 128 in about 2 weeks, can't wait).
New
> Geforce 256 video card, old 3Com ethernet card, horrible old Cmedia
sound
> monstrosity (anyone out there got it configured properly? I'm still
> struggling)... aside from the sound card, everything is functioning
normally to the best of my
> knowledge, hardware-wise.  Oh, the offending printer is an HP
> deskjet 690C. I have the correct driver installed... to the best of my

> knowledge....! OS is Windows 2000 Pro, installation only a

It sometimes is a good idea to actually scale back a driver.  You may
want to try this...sometimes the latest, greatest driver has weird
conflicts only testable on your configuration.  So that's an option.

(Drivers reinstall through My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware ->
Device Manager -> (click device) -> Properties)

> week and a half old.  XP died a miserable death 2 weeks ago (still
don't know why, though
> Acrobat reader and printing issues were involved there as well) and so
> rescued my data, reformatted and reinstalled completely clean.  Oh
yeah, 40Gb drive.

Hrm.  Are you using a NTFS or FAT32 partition?  You can find this out by
right-clicking on My Computer and going to Manage, then Disk Management.

> um.......can't think of what else I should mention...........
> So, I think problem #1 is infact that I don't know what's
> going on behind the scenes - because the blue screen flashes up so
quickly
> and no other errors appear, either before or after the reboot.  Can
> someone tell me where to find a log, or something, that can bring some
light
> onto that matter, please?  Once I've dug up some error info I'm sure
we may
> actually get somewhere.  I just have NO idea where to look.
> While I'm not a computer newbie at all, I've managed to stay away from
the
> innards of microsoft's operating systems and normally I'm fine, things

> chug along and I can fix most problems.  Not this one, no
way....completely stumped.

Right click on My Computer and go to Manage.  Your Event Logs will be in
there. :)
Event Viewer is, IIRC, the spot you want.

> And all this at the worst time.  I'm working on a major uni
> assignment,  which is already late.  So this is advance warning that
I'm
> short on sleep, high on stress, and I may be a little less....  .
Can't
> think of the word.   Oh I'm sure you all know what I mean, we've all
been there
> at some point or another.

Nrg. :(

> So.  #1 - error log or something similar to clue us all in
> #2 - anyone experienced something like this?  Any known
> problems/solutions?  Any bright ideas at all?

I can tell you error log...as for the rest, well...it *is* Windows. :)

HTH somewhat...
Charlotte