[Techtalk] Clueless Ripping Revisited--Hardware ?s

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Tue Oct 15 23:19:31 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 11:08, Conor Daly wrote:

> Yup, I had to
>
> chmod 666 /dev/sg0
>
> to get ripping to work.
>
> I suppose I could have piped up earlier on that eh?

Um, yeah!  Maybe that toddler had something to do with it...

At any rate, I chmodded the permissions to 666 and still can't get
anywhere.

Here's what I have for permissions:
---------------
lrwxrwxrwx	1 root     root     11,	(date)	cdrom -> /dev/scd0
lrwxrwxrwx	1 root     root     11, (date)  cdrom1 -> /dev/scd1

and

brw-rw-rw-	1 babayaga disk     11, (date)  scd0
brw-rw-rw-	1 babayaga disk	    11, (date)  scd1
---------------

And like I said, I can burn cds under my user account just fine, and I
can encode with Grip fine as root, but I don't want to be stuck doing
that because then I'll have to go and change permissions so they'll be
playable by anyone.  :-/

Maybe it's permissions with one of the backends?  I can run bladeenc and
lame as user.  Any others I should try?

regards,
Beth
--