[Techtalk] Red Hat ethernet kernel modules question

Mandy Andress mandy at arcsec.com
Tue Oct 15 17:36:41 EST 2002

I am having some issues with a Red Hat 7.3 system when loading ethernet
cards. The system has two onboard ports and a quad-card. The onboard
ports use eepro100 and the quad card uses the tulip driver. When I boot
the system, it puts the tulip driver with the on-board ports. Networking
does not work, of course. I unload the tulip module, the kernel then
loads the proper eepro100 driver for the on-board ports and the tulip
driver for the quad-card. Everything works fine. I checked the
modules.conf file and it is correct.

The only solution I have been able to come up with so far is to compile
a kernel with everything statically linked. Does anyone have any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Mandy

Mandy Andress