[Techtalk] Applications for writing dissertation

Christina Zeeh lists at tuxtina.de
Sun Oct 13 23:20:17 EST 2002

Hi,

>> I don't know off hand if you will be able to save in multiple formats,
>> but I am sure you can also find information about that with a quick
>> google search.
>
> From postscript you can convert to pdf using this little program called
> ps2pdf. Don't know what other formats you want to convert your
> dissertation to, but there's probably various utilities that do that.

pdflatex produces more useful output than putting the Postscript file
through ps2pdf: It creates an outline navigation bar and allows
clickable links (both inside the document and to internet addresses)
for use with Acrobat Reader.

LaTeX documents can be converted to HTML using latex2html.

With a project of your size I'd stay away from Lyx. Use Emacs (or some
other editor of choice), split the project into sufficently small files
and use some kind of version control system.

Christina

--
"I smile because I have no idea what's going on."