[Techtalk] Applications for writing dissertation

Shuying shuyingw at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Mon Oct 14 07:06:21 EST 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> LaTeX is famously good at equations. I know very little about
> it, but even I know it does equations well. I don't know about
> LaTeX and graphs, but I have many friends who wrote their
> dissertations in LaTeX. Some of them must have needed graphs.

LaTeX handles graphs and images. But in order to include them in your
document, they have to be saved in .eps (encapsulated postscript) format.
And then you can specify the dimensions and position of the graph that
is to be included in the document. The documentation that comes with
LaTeX is probably a good place to start..

> DocBook is great for marking up computer-related things. If you
> want to mark up <guimenuentry>s or <structfield>s or <keysym>s,

Hmm..I've been meaning to find out about docbook. Are there any good
online references you can recommend?

--Shuying