[Techtalk] Applications for writing dissertation

melissa ion kibbe atomic at morgul.net
Sun Oct 13 15:59:09 EST 2002

the following slanderous atrocity can be attributed to Stephanie Boyd:
> Basically here's what I need:
> It's an economics dissertation, so whatever I use must be able to deal well
> with equations.  The ability to either generate graphs or for me to easily
> insert graphs is also important.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to save in
> mutliple formats, but I must as least be able to print to a postscript file.

I am a big fan of LaTex. It was intended for university papers and a
has a lot of functionality.  Here is a URL to some math/graphing
documentation, and some other handy LaTex information and
documenation:

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/

I don't know off hand if you will be able to save in multiple formats,
but I am sure you can also find information about that with a quick
google search.

m.

http://web.morgul.net/~atomic
Q: "Robert Heinlein.  Wasn't he a sexist jerk?"
A: "Robert Heinlein is a famous and influential science fiction writer."