[Techtalk] Clueless about Ripping & Encoding Audio

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Thu Oct 10 10:27:45 EST 2002

I know this doesn't answer the question asked, but I found mp3c to be a
pretty good package.  It is a curses program, I think that combines blade,
cdparanoia, a cddb program, and is modular.  You can swap out different
components.  Everything is visual and the quality of the encoding seems
pretty good.  It is available from freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net.

jenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Mick Timony [mailto:madra at gis.net]
Sent: 2002 Oct 09 19:52
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
Subject: [Techtalk] Clueless about Ripping & Encoding Audio

> When I try to rip and encode I either get no files or files that are
> only 128 or 368 bytes,
Perhaps lame or bladeenc is not in your path? Go into Grip's config menu
and under the mp3 options make sure the encoder is selected and if
necessary put the full path in. Here's the edited highlights of my
".grip" config file (I don't want to put the whole thing in cause it's
kinda long if you want a copy e-mail me):

GRIP 2
cd_device /dev/sr0
ripexename /usr/bin/cdparanoia
ripcmdline -d %c %t:[.%s]-%t:[.%e] %w
wav_filter_cmd /usr/bin/normalize %w
disc_filter_cmd
mp3exename /usr/local/bin/lame
mp3cmdline -b %b -h -S -v -V2 %w %m
dbserver freedb.freedb.org
ripfileformat /mnt/mp3/mp3/%A/%d/%n.wav
mp3fileformat /mnt/mp3/mp3/%A/%d/%t-%n.mp3
m3ufileformat /mnt/mp3/mp3/m3u/%A-%d.m3u
kbits_per_sec 128

I encode the mp3's at 128 bitrate with a variable bitrate. Meaning my
mp3 are encoded at a minimum of 128bits ... Try a few different bitrates
with and without the variable bitrate and see if you can tell the
difference.

>which works but it's glacially slow in Linux (read: encodes as quickly
>as it plays)).

Sound about right. :) The encoding from wav to mp3 is very CPU
intensive. To create mp3's the tracks on you CD are first converted to
WAV files then to mp3.

If you want a quick and dirty tool for converting CD's to mp3 try abcde
a commandline tool. But, you want high quality mp3's or ogg's grip is
pretty good, or follow Alvin's advice.

Luck
Mick