[Techtalk] [OFF TOPIC] sudo weirdness on Solaris 8

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Tue Oct 8 12:10:04 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

I am pulling my hair out over a weird problem.  We have several Solaris
8 boxes.  I can use sudo just fine on them.  Another user here cannot.
In csh it asks for his password and does nothing.  In bash it asks for
his password, says "broken pipe" and does nothing.

We use NIS, and neither of us have local accounts on the machine in
question.  Sudo is normally in /usr/local/bin and is mounted from
another machine.  I tried having a local copy in /usr/bin and there was
no difference.  Tried having him do away with his .cshrc or
.bash_profile temporarily to see if it was an environment issue -- nope,
no change.  I can't, in fact, see anything substantially different
between his account and mine.

Any clues?

Regards,
Caity (the confused one today)