[Techtalk] Someone Infected?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Mon Oct 7 18:58:02 EST 2002

> I got a message with an attachment that wasn't from who it said it was
> from, seeming to respond to a thread from August, with an attachment.
> I've received 6-7 of these this weekend that I can attribute to several
> different lists I'm on.  Since this one referenced TechTalk I assume it
> came from someone who is subscribed.

A good rule of thumb is that there is ALWAYS someone infected on techtalk.
I think we average around 1 virus per day sent to the list and caught by the
list software, although it varies.  I stopped keeping track of the culprits
because I don't have time to email them personally anymore, so I can't give
a useful list at the moment.

If it's Klez, the headers aren't too hard to figure out.  Usually there's
something which matches up with the domain of the mailserver the thing was
sent through, and that address is probably the address of the sender.

But something else to consider: Techtalk has public archives, so we may get
viruses from spammers as well as from subscribers.

 Terri