[Techtalk] X11 config-4

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 5 12:18:09 EST 2002

Hi Malcolm,

	I have my box set a step below paranoid and have a separate minimal
firewall set on the router. I did try... as user, a root terminal, and
had even less luck copying the config file. I am a bit confused as to
why (On the second try), signed on/operating as root I could not copy
files to a user desktop or file. My Mandrake 8.2 has three or four
pre-configured settings for security. Paranoid was the highest, I set it
a bit lower.  	I did Mac's for a long time and set up a Mandrake Linux
netatalk server last year, I started using Linux daily about two months
ago. I saved a *lot* of money with PC hardware and Linux but a few times
have been quite discouraged about the road blocks of Command Line Linux
(for me) as well as the general state of copying things between
documents in the GUI.
	 There is a long way to travel for Linux to be as user "friendly", even
for day to day tasks, as Mac. So far I have used mostly KDE (221/2)
maybe Gnome is a bit better? On the P150-200's,  used as servers, KDE's
speed is like very cold molasas on my new CPU it's very fast, so I have
less a reason to try other (reportedly) faster GUI's.
	 I am interested what "fellow"(?) listers use. Is there a better Linux
GUI for moving text, images, between documents?

	Andrew

	I will get over my frustration in a few days, no flames please.