[Techtalk] X forwarding via proxy

claudia monsviridinus at tin.it
Fri Oct 4 21:36:09 EST 2002

Il ven, 2002-10-04 alle 20:45, Isabelle HURBAIN ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a little problem...
> I have to access a computer outside my private network with an X
> forwarding via a proxy :
>
> me| telnet  <=> proxy| ssh  <=> distant computer| telnet
>   | ssh                                         | ssh
>
> but I have absolutely no idea of how to do it - as it is difficult to
> "export DISPLAY" to a private network... (with masquerading)
> I have a decent control of the proxy (it is my boyfriend's computer ;) ).
>
> Does anyone have an idea ?
>
> --
> Isa
> Just for fun

I don't know if I'm right but anyway ....what about adding a new user to
the PC you want to access,setting the user  DISPLAY variable to 0:0 in
the .bash_profile file in his home directory and accessing the PC
X-server typing (when you are root) xhost + name_of_the_host on Your_PC
and launching the X applications from your PC (after connecting to it
via SSH o telnet)?
It's not "elegant" but it can work ....
Let me know

Claudia