[Techtalk] NAT server

Brian Smith-Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 4 09:45:05 EST 2002

Greetings all,

Haven't posted anything in a LONG time (haven't been reading much again,
admittedly).  Been really busy, but I just felt obligated to respond with...

iptables? ;-)

All kidding aside, there are some great firewall scripts out there, and
iptables is really nice.  Check out shorewall or bastille-linux for some
good setup stuff, or just do search around on google.  Also, there are a
number of sourceforge.net projects setup around putting a GUI front-end on
iptables (far more for ipchains tho).  Last I heard, a lot of linux-based
firewall vendors were using ipchains, which I avoid.  Stateful inspection
is just too nice.

For vendors, if you've got the money Checkpoint is amazing but can often be
overkill.  I've heard good things from coworkers about GNAT boxes
(http://www.gta.com/), but haven't used any myself yet (has anyone else had
experience with these folks?).  Have used Cobalt's interface, which was
pretty but not incredibly impressive.

That's all I've got; good luck!

-Brian

--On Thursday, October 03, 2002 09:41:20 PM -0400 Shirrell