[Techtalk] /etc/hosts

Carlo Hamalainen ch at uqconnect.net
Thu Oct 3 20:52:18 EST 2002

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Enter in /etc/hosts the IP-Adresses and seperated by a <TAB> the
> host/domainname like
>
> #/etc/hosts
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost                       localhost
> 192.168.1.1     devel.yourdomain.org            devel
> 192.168.1.2     workstation.yourdomain.org      workstation

I'd also like to point out that you *really* should put in there the full
hostname, eg. devel.yourdomain.org, as well as the short version, devel.

When I setup my girlfriend's system I just put the short name in, but when
XFree86 starts up, it needs to get the full name. One day the DNS server
died, and X wouldn't start up, which at the time was quite mysterious!

-- Carlo