[Techtalk] mke2fs vs rm -rf

Campbell McLeay campbellm at cia.net.au
Wed Oct 2 17:06:39 EST 2002

Hi,

Currently I back up a couple of partitions to
a backup drive using tar. However, after a
while the backup partitions begin to fill up
because tar just leaves the old files in place
(I'm not writing to an archive; just piping
to standard out so the filesystem is copied).

To clean the backup drives, I would like to use
'mke2fs' because it is faster and safer than using
rm -rf, since mke2fs can only be run on unmounted
partitions. I was just wondering whether anyone
could think of any problems with this...?

Cheers,

Campbell