[Techtalk] Re: /etc/hosts

Therese Gustafsson th_gustafsson at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 01:14:09 EST 2002

Kristina wrote:
>Putting it in /etc/hosts I believe will enable the
>machine to recognize
>itself by a hostname instead of an IP. You can also
>reset the hostname
>using the "hostname" command. Without an argument,
>hostname will return
>the hostname, but given an argument (a hostname) it
>will set the
>hostname.

So if I don't have a hostname I don't have to put the
ip-address in /etc/hosts at all?

>In terms of other computers on the internet
>recognizing your computer
>by
>its hostname rather than by the IP, ...

I don't need that right now. It's just a development
server that I'm going to connect to so to just have
the ip-address is fine by me.

I have another problem now: I deleted the old hostname
from /etc/hosts but Apache and sshd still think
they're at the.old.hostname. I have restarted Apache
but no change. Where do they get that information from
if it's not in /etc/hosts anymore?

Thanks for your help!

/Therese