[Techtalk] Debian 3 and X-server

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Wed Oct 2 23:09:42 EST 2002

> finally I succeded in installing Debian 3,X-server and a windowmanager
> too (Icewm as you suggested)!
> The only thing is the "style" of my desktop is really something
> particular : windows spread all over the screen when I activate
> them really a strange effect (similar at when you see a bug in graphical
> applications ....I mean anyway I don't think that there is a bug in
> Icewm,really)......
> another trouble to solve for me.....

That sounds like a sync problem -- like it doesn't have quite the right
settings for your screen.
	But you're making progress. To be honest, this is more trouble
than I've seen in a while. Looks like you just got lucky.
	Check in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and see if it looks like the Device
is right, and what the HorizSync and VertRefresh are. If they look weird,
post them and I'll stare at them.
	Another thing that will cause weirdness is a poorly configured
mouse, but if you can move the cursor around with reasonable accuracy,
that's probably not it.
	Anybody else have a clue on this one?