[Techtalk] /etc/hosts

Therese Gustafsson th_gustafsson at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 06:27:10 EST 2002

Hi everyone!

I need some help. I'm doing some php-programming for
my father. The development server used to be at my
brothers place. But he moved this weekend and my
father moved the server to the company that they (my
fathers company) get their internetconnection from.
Now my problem is that the server doesn't have a
hostname anymore, it only has an ip-address. I'm
wondering what I should put in /etc/hosts now? Should
I only put the current ip-address or should I make up
a hostname and put there even if the server doesn't
have one. (To make it clear, I'm the only one supposed
to have access to it until the system is finished and
then the system is going to be put on another
computer.)

My brother also put phpmyadmin on it so I could
administrate the mysql-database easier. I can get to
the first page of it fine, but when I try to click on
a link to choose a database it tries to connect with
my brothers old hostname. I don't know where to look
to fix that. Do you have any ideas?? Could that be
because /etc/hosts contains his old hostname still?
(His old hostname is on the localhost line...don't ask
me why...That's not where it should have been right?)

Perhaps there are more things to change? The only
thing they changed was that they changed the
ip-address of the computer from dhcp to static. Is
there something else that I must do? It's RedHat 7.3
by the way.

I really do appreciate any help.

/Therese