[Techtalk] Re: [Grrltalk] fairness in the workplace...

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Sat Nov 30 18:07:44 EST 2002

Marcia Barrett Nice wrote:

>Would it necessarily?  Is it possible that the new hire would prefer the 1pm
>slot for lunch because she (for example) needs to pick her kids up from
>school and drop them with the sitter?

In this situation, no kids are involved and it's
not a matter of leaving the building, or taking
care of a time-sensitive responsibility, that I
know of.

>   We don't even know if someone asked the
>gentleman and he answered to the effect that he didn't really care one way or
>the other, at which point it would also be probable that the new hire would
>get the lunch slot.

We do know he has been working this schedule
for a number of years and was pretty upset that
his superiors "suggested" that he change.

Those who have stated that I do not know all the
facts are correct. However, my source assured
me that extenuating circumstances were not
made known to the individuals that made the
decision, It was a matter of her changing her
preference.

In addition, this is standard operating procedure
at this particular government facility. (i.e., sex
and/or race achieve preference over seniority.)

I'm sorry if this question came across as trolling.
I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Walt

-~

     We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same
     sense and to the same extent that we respect his theory that his
     wife is beautiful and his children smart.
                         H.L. Mencken