[Techtalk] Data archiving

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Sat Nov 30 16:31:13 EST 2002

I've been writing web-based database stuff for a while - but it's all
been in the "small" scale of databases - in the small hundreds of
records or less.

Well, one particular installation is getting bigger, and the way that
I've written the application, it's getting very unwieldy for them to
deal with the output of tables, and they don't want to see anything
more than 1 month old. They want to delete this stuff, but I shudder
to think of that.

So, I'm thinking of 3 different strategies for archiving:

1) Take the old stuff out of the database and stick it in a delimited
text file so they can get it later, if they want.
2) Take the old stuff and toss it in an "archive" table within the
same database
3) leave it in the table, and provide an easier front-end to choose
the range of data they look at, and perhaps choose a default or
something.

I'm leaning toward either 1 or 3, I might actually implement both.
But any suggestions in terms of performance as well as overall db
design for people who've done this sort of thing would be helpful.

Thanks.
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner