[Techtalk] may regret this...

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Wed Nov 20 17:07:06 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Walt wrote:

> I'm trying to demonstrate snort for some
> folks.

hmm, lucky :)

> Can anyone generate some fairly harmless simulated attacks/portscans/
> nmaps against 24.137.3.146 / gandalf.mercersburg.net?

I, personally, wouldn't feel happy about doing this without some
confirmation that the IP address is under your control.

However, if you want some interesting traffic, I would recommend Nessus
(http://www.nessus.org/) as something that can fit your needs.  It's a
security scanner that comes in two parts (client/server).  You can set it
to generate an "attack" and report based on a list of intrusion/exploit
attempts that you can select a list from.

good luck :)

Maria