[Techtalk] Was-Chicken

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 19 01:14:14 EST 2002

Telsa, Beth, & All

	I have had the GUI...Mandrake, Update and URPMI problem since ver8.0
and this is Ver 8.2 A diferent (new) HD and a clean install.
	plain old RPM has worked I,M,MInstall has worked better.
	I saw one the answer to this question last year, long before I was
ready to do anything in the CL. It involved changing/commenting out one
line in ??.  Naturally I do not remember. In many situation fixing this
would save a lot of headaches and frustration.
	I use updatedb often when changing things.

	When using "rpm --rebuilddb" Is it best done  from "/" or where?  In
the Mac the desktop DB was everything and rebuilding it fixed a lot of
quirks. "Zapping" the pram (parameter ram, similiar to clearing cmos)
also fixed many things. I tell people those two commands get all their
ducks in a row...lines everything up... puts things in order.... Now I
don't know about OSX.

	What are equalivent Linux commands? Are updatedb and rebuilddb
similiar?

	Andrew