[Techtalk] Switching X resolutions

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon Nov 18 16:21:18 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 11:12:36PM -0800 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Akkana thought:
> [ ... ]
> > Now, if someone out there has the details or know where to find the
> > details for this........
>
> I'm sure there's an option somewhere to do this ... but I don't know
> what it is.  Perhaps by editing ~/.xserverrc (mentioned but not in much
> detail in man startx and man xinit) to add something like a -dpi
> argument (mentioned in man Xserver).  man XFree86 also has some good
> info -- if all else fails, you could make separate copies of your
> XF86Config-4 file, and call them explicitly with -xf86config file.
> None of these directly answers your question, so you may have to do
> a fair amount of manual reading and fiddling.

Now, I'm beginning to think that this will be limited to console logins
followed by "startx".  Given that [gkx]dm have already started X before
you login and the X restart happens only at logout.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)