[Techtalk] Networking options

Meredydd Luff meredydd at everybuddy.com
Mon Nov 18 10:42:17 EST 2002

Reminds me of an anecdote I heard about the early Cambridge University comp
dept. They had just made a site-wide installation of this new-fangled
Ethernet thing - a real prestige project, which culminated in this LARGE
copper backbone running the ~3 m gap between two buildings. Right after it
was installed, lightning struck nearby (or was it actually on the building?)
- induced current, fried EVERYTHING on the network. Cue a lot of unhappy
compsci students & teachers...

Meredydd