[Techtalk] ed < file

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Wed Nov 13 09:56:40 EST 2002

Hi all.

I'm trying to use the "ed" command like this:
   ed $filename <<EOF
   1,$s/foo/bar/g
   EOF
The commands work when I type them one-by-one, but not when I execute them
as shown above. (I've tried ed -s and that didn't work either.) Can anyone
explain why?

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
   In 1750, Ben Franklin got a bill to transport "grains" through the
   Pennsylvania House of Representatives. The House had many pacifist
   quakers, who didn't read the bill carefully enough to see that it
   was for the transport of grains of gunpowder to fight the Indians!