[Techtalk] Error installing the driver of my 10/100MB Ethernet card

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Nov 9 23:59:42 EST 2002

> Lspci returned something different than what I saw in
> KDE, but other than those two places I didn?t see any
> sign that Linux detected the card.
>
> lspci
>
> .
> .
> 00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: MYSON Technology Inc
> SURECOM EP-320X-S 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter

lspci, the SCSI scan mechanism and others directly ask the hardware
"what are you?" So the results you got tells a little story about the
hardware.

There frequently are only a few hardware manufacturers and they will
license the right to duplicate the hardware or "brand" the hardware for
someone else. Matsushita makes hardware VCR's for RCA, Pioneer,
Panasonic, Phillips and others. Foodstuff is frequently "distributed by"
and not actually processed by the seller. This is the it is for most all
commercial products.

So, if you run something that directly probes the hardware and it
replies back something different than what you were sold, try using the
drivers for the reply. Sound cards and network cards are the worst
offenders for this, low cost video cards come in close second as well.

Running lspci on my machine:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX Host bridge
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX AGP bridge
(rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:0e.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7861 (rev 01)
00:0f.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics Venus Modem
(V90, 56KFlex)
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8029(AS)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 AGP
(rev 03)

Everything looks good except for the Communication Controller: *IT* is
an Actiontec Call Waiting Modem. You can use the Lucent Venus Modem and
NEVER know the difference.

And the SCSI storage controller is an Adaptec AHA-2940UA Ultra SCSI
Narrow bus controller. Nothing ever says it is an AIC-7861, even though
that IS what it is.

And FYI: my Yamaha CRW-4260 had a sticker on the tray stating it was a
"Smart and Friendly" CDRW. The SCSI bus scanner asks all my hardware
"what are you?" and it replies "Yamaha". What's under the hood is what
counts, not the label on the box.

I hope this helps some. You may have the drivers and not know it because
of what is reported and what is labeled on the purchased box.

Alvin