[Techtalk] Error installing the driver of my 10/100MB Ethernet card

Samer Yhya samer-yhya at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 9 13:33:52 EST 2002

Thank you all for the posts,

Unfortunately in the end I’m still stuck :(
Let’s see now, the (rather colorful) explanation of
the make output was helpful in understanding the
general idea of what’s happening. But I suppose Malcom
had high hopes for my ability to debug Linux files.

Magni,
I’m not sure where you found the fealnx-driver on your
Linux. I used the "windows like" network configuration
tool of RedHat8:
start-here > system-settings > network
which allows you to install network cards from a big
list of cards. However none of the three you suggested
was there. So I’m wondering what other ways are there
to install drivers that I can try.

Kudzu is the program “detecting new hardware” every
time I start Linux. For some reason it ignored the
card completely (even when I ran it inside Linux). So
that won’t help.

Lspci returned something different than what I saw in
KDE, but other than those two places I didn’t see any
sign that Linux detected the card.

lspci

.
.
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: MYSON Technology Inc
SURECOM EP-320X-S 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter
.
.
.

And the card is not already configured since RedHat8
network configuration tool (I mentioned above) shows
whether you have any network cards installed, and
using ifconfig:

[root at localhost linux-2.4.x]# ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not
found

returns an error message.

Finally checking whether the kernel headers files were
installed was a good idea. But as Malcom noted (and
thanks for the right rpm name Malcom)
glibc-kernheaders was already installed.

So thanks guys for your help. The last thing I wanna
try is if Magni (or anyone else) could just tell me
how to found the fealnx-driver and how I can install
the driver (beside using RedHat8 network
configuration).

Samer Y.

PS. Could someone tell me how to reply inside the same
thread :/