[Techtalk] HELP:mounting from floppy and save file into floppy

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Wed Nov 6 00:47:29 EST 2002

>      Thank you for responding.Thanks.The errors are as below:

> error;mount:mount point /mnt/floppy does not exist
> > > 2)mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> error;mount:mount point /mnt/floppy does not exist
> > > 3)change etc/fstab file from    /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy  ext2      to
> > >                                 /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy   vfat
> >
>                                                            LINDA

There isn't a directory name 'floppy' in /mnt. A directory name
typically needs to exist first so you have a place to mount the drive
to.

What I did to make things easier for me was to create some empty
directories for other removable drives:

mkdir /Jazz
mkdir /Zip
mkdir /flopa
mkdir /flopb

This makes directories /Jazz, /Zip, /flopa and /flopb. What each one is:

/Jazz is my Jazz drive
/Zip is for my Zip drive
/flopa is for my 3.5 inch floppy drive
/flopb is for my 5.25 inch floppy drive (don't laugh, I'm compatable
with old data files and software for SysV, OS/2, DOS and Windows3.11)

Mounting the drives:

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda /Jazz (mounts the Jazz drive 'sda' on Jazz with
ext2 filesystem)

mount -t msdos /dev/sda /Jazz (mounts the Jazz drive 'sda' on Jazz with
MS-DOS filesystem)

mount -t vfat /dev/sda /Jazz (mounts the Jazz drive 'sda' on Jazz with
Win95 type filesystem)

To unmount the drive to change disks:

umount /Jazz  (unmount the directory)

or

umount /dev/sda (unmount the device, just in case you forgot where you
mounted the blasted thing) :)

The last is important, I sometimes forget which CD drive is mounted
where, so I unmount by device.

BTW, IF you have a Zip or Jazz drive, the disk is typically partitioned
as either '1' or '4', i.e. /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda4. You can overwrite the
partition, but if you use the disk under DOS or windows later, the disk
has to be repartitioned to what it was and reformated.

If you get an error or the disk won't mount with /dev/sda, then try
/dev/sda4 and then /dev/sda1. Why 4 first? Because that is the way most
of the blank disks are partitioned! ;) The "installation" disk is
partitioned '1'. Iomega's software uses this to identify installation
vs. data disks.

I hope this isn't too much info!

Alvin