[Techtalk] Problem updating critical security updates for Red Hat 7.3

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Fri Nov 1 13:35:24 EST 2002

Hi, Linda,

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 11:08, linda ling wrote:

>    i need help in updating my Red Hat 7.3 because i was told to keep the
> security updated so that i can get my configuration done easier on my
> External USB Aztech modem device driver.

It will not make it easier.  You do it so that nasty people don't break
into your box and do thngs you don't want done.

> If not i won't be able to go online
> at the present moment.The problem here is i have an external USB Aztech
> UM9800 modem which can not be detected by Red Hat 7.3 for cofiguration.

It is not supported by Red Hat, period.  The drivers you have are for
Mandrake and may not work.  In fact, the probably will not.  Chances are
to get your system online using Red Hat you need a different modem.

> My
> kernel version for Red Hat 7.3 is 2.4.18-3.One of the member in the mailing
> list said that i need to update to 2.4.18-17.7.3 and all of the critical
> security update.About the critical security updates,seriously i don't knoow
> how is it done.

You need to download them from the Red Hat website:
ftp://updates.redhat.com  Then you install them using rpm or one of it's
graphical equivalents.  The kernel upgrade is more complicated and there
is a page describing that on the Red Hat website.  Do you know how to
use rpm?  Do you have any Linux experience at all?

Regards,
Cait