[Techtalk] SuSE source RPM install -failed- help!

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Thu May 30 18:42:28 EST 2002

> Malcolm:  I'm not familiar with how
> SuSe package their kernel rpms,

Neither am I, and I've been using SuSE for quite a few years. Previous to
v8.0, they were able to handle their enigmatic installs via YaST (their
swissarmyknife tool). But not now; it's gone (replaced by a gummy-bear
Yast2 thangie that doesn't handle software anymore).
	It wouldn't surprise me if a number of their rpms didn't work
right.
	However, the kernel versions in the original note imply a SuSE
prior to 8.0, in which case I would heartily recommend installing by using
YaST, as the Germans intended.
	su
	yast

> is why most distros and individuals put the headers in
> /usr/src/linux-<Version> and link the current kernel to /usr/src/linux.

I follow Linus' advice and put my current kernel (non-distro) in
/home/user/src and make a symlink from /usr/src[ln -s target linux].

> In your case, as a workaround, try moving the /usr/src/linux directory
> (if it's not a directory, what is it??) to /usr/src/linux.old

That should work.
	I'd backtrack a bit, though, and mention that there's a lot to be
said for downloading a current kernel from kernel.org and forgoing the
various "benefits" of distro kernels. Even if you're an Alan Cox fan (and
I am).
	Since that comes as a zip file and not an rpm, you can "have your
way" with it.