[Techtalk] Installing linux without an ISO

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue May 28 18:38:10 EST 2002

At 5/28/02 05:53 PM , Dave North wrote:

>I'm pretty sure Mandrake has one. Dunno on RedHat. But a floppy/net
>install for Debian is almost (but not quite) its natural state.

Really? The last time I tried to do a network install of Debian, the best
instructions I could find on their Web site involved having to build at
least seven floppies.

By contrast, Red Hat's net install involves just one floppy (with an image
available at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/images/bootnet.img ),
and knowledge of a site and path to download the rest of the media from.
Since I could only find about two floppies in the house that I trusted, I
went with Red Hat. (This was a couple of years ago, and I no longer like
Red Hat. Now my first preference is Slackware, and then Debian. But that's
assuming I have CDs to install from.)

You've got me curious -- how do you do a Debian net install?

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"I hear the roar of a big machine,
  Two worlds and in between;
  Hot metal and methedrine.