[Techtalk] lilo in partion not MBR

Malcolm-Rannirl rannirl-lc at otherkin.net
Thu May 23 15:36:20 EST 2002

I'm having problems with getting a system to boot and was hoping someone
might be able to point me in the right direction.

The system is an 'embedded' system (basically fixed spec PC in a sealed box)
that is to run linux. However due to the drive duplication process, it needs
to have lilo installed in the first partition not the MBR. This is supposed
to be possible according to the lilo documentation.

Drive is partitioned as follows:
hda1 - /boot
hda2 - /
hda3 - /var
had4 - extended

Lilo runs and claims to install fine (even with -v). It appears to have
installed in the first 1024  cylinders as required. However on boot, it gets
to "LI" and hangs.

Anyone got any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

--
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding
of ourselves.

<<  This email is monitored by the US government under the auspice  >>
<< of the USA act. For private communication, ask me for my PGP key >>
<< ----- PGP: envelopes for email - www.pgp.com www.gnupg.org ----- >>