[Techtalk] Reverse DNS confusion

Dushyanth Harinath dushy at symonds.net
Tue May 21 13:42:02 EST 2002

Hi folks,

Iam having a small doubt regarding Reverse DNS setup. The issue is
something like this.

My ISP has assigned me a block if IP's say from the network
192.168.1.0/27. My block of IP's are 192.168.1.32/27 . Now i have setup
forward DNS and i have no problem understanding that. But iam stuck with
reverse DNS. I have created a reverse zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa and
gave the PTR records to my hosts in the zone file. Is this ok ?. Can i
create a reverse zone for entire 192.168.1.0/27 ?.

Below is named.conf for bind9.1.3.

//named.conf

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    listen-on { 192.168.1.33; };
    allow-recursion {192.168.1.32/27;};
};

zone "." {
    type hint;
    file "named.ca";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "named.local";
};

zone "archeanlabs.net"{
    type master;
    file "forward";
};

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa"{
    type master;
    file "reverse";
};

forward and reverse file contain the forward and reverse mappings and
they work well.

The IP's i have given here is from a fictional network, actually we have
a block of routable IP's. We have our web servers, mail server etc
running and now we want to have our own DNS servers for our block. For
that i have created to host records ns1.test.com and ns2.test.com at
netsol pointing to our DNS server's. So can i create a reverse zone for
the entire network like specified above and give PTR records to only the
hosts in my block or is there any other procedure to follow ?

Am i confused here ?

TIA
dushyanth
--
In a world full of people only some want to fly, Isn't that crazy
                                                        - Seal