[Techtalk] Help with joystick config please

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Mon May 20 10:51:01 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 02:27, Marian Routh wrote:
> Hi, here I am with another puzzler.   Am running SuSE 8.0 and it
> automagically finds my usb MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback Pro.  However,
> it doesn't work.  I ran /usr/bin/jstest and /usr/bin/jscal on both
> /dev/js0 and /dev/input/js0 and got back "no such device".  I looked at
> the joystick how-to on the SuSE site and in the manual, but
> configuration is for gameport joysticks, not usb.  I logged in as root
> and ran modprobe -c --showconfig.  Okay, not that I really know what
> I'm looking at, but I'm _trying_.  Then I ran jstest again and got a
> response!?  The joystick worked in TuxRacer!  Logged in as myself and
> it still worked.  Now, to my limited knowledge, I didn't actually _do_
> anything to make it work.
>
> Then the Oldest Boy decided to boot into XP and play games.  Later, back
> to SuSE and the joystick doesn't work, same as before.  Repeat my silly
> modprobe steps, but that didn't do the trick.
>
> This isn't a major deal for me, since I don't play games, but I love to
> have everything Working Properly and I love to learn.  Can you
> enlighten me, please?

This looks like there's a module missing in the case where it doesn't
work. Do an 'lsmod' after booting, save it into a file, do what you
described (where it worked afterwards), verify that it actually does
work and if it does, compare the current 'lsmod' output to that in the
file. This should give you an idea what module is missing. Then you can
modprobe the missing module(s) in rc.local or via /etc/modules.conf
trickery.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647
nils at fht-esslingen.de
        Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?