[Techtalk] Sticky Bits

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sat May 18 13:18:38 EST 2002

"kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net" wrote:

> While issuing 'find / -type f -perm +6000' I found these following files with
> sticky bits.
>
> I wanted to know what is the implication and consequences of having these
> files and which one of these files I should change.

Errm, those aren't "sticky bits", those are "set-UID"/"set-GID"
bits.  Seems the current generation doesn't get that one right
very often ...

ANYHOW, you've asked about a lot of commands which wouldn't work
correctly if you turned off the set-ID bits.  Have you considered
looking at the manpages for the commands to see what they do,
and if you want your users able to do those things?  For example,
I suspect you want your users to be able to change their passwords,
no?
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.