[Techtalk] thinkpad600E sound

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Thu May 16 20:56:21 EST 2002

On Thursday 16 May 2002 19:58, /dev/null wrote:
> okay.... getting a bit further here....
>
> so, i have interrupts set up properly for the modem, and am now
> happily=20 writing this to you at 56kb/s instead of my crappy
> little 28k pcmcia card= =20

I am SO happy to read that!  Even a little victory is still a victory!

> also realised i hadnt installed the rest of ALSA, only the drivers
> - so i= t was=20
> missing alsa-utils, alsa-libs, alsa-oss - that could have been a
> problem=20 causing the unresolved symbols. but no... they're
> installed now and i sti= ll=20
> get this error:
>
> [root at hamish miriam]# modprobe snd-cs4236
> /lib/modules/2.5.9/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.o:
> init_module: No = such=20
> device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> includi= ng=20
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> modprobe: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.5.9/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.o=20 failed
> modprobe: insmod snd-cs4236 failed

That does look like a conflict.  Did you try running "sndconfig" to
see if you could change some of the settings?  Once I had everything
installed and the kernel compiled for the Thinkpad 380xd I had to
adjust the settings that were being used until the darn thing played
me a sound.

For space sake I removed the quote of your second results, but I am
not sure what to tell you there.  What did you do differently?

The above error looks like a setting conflict - if you were to adjust
the sndconfig settings (/usr/sbin/sndconfig in Mandrake) you may be
able to get it working.  Might be the settings.

Try running sndconfig if you haven't already and select the Crystal
cs423x Sound Card, then configure your settings to these:

i/o port = 0x530
irq = 5
dma = 1
dma2 = 0
mpu i/o = 330
mpu irq = 9

If they are already set to that then I'll see if I can help you dig
for more answers!

Let me know how that goes!

Tab