[Techtalk] Re: [Grrls-only] Re: Setting up a server

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu May 16 07:56:04 EST 2002

Are you suggesting setting up WebDAV? I've never tried that on Apache ...
does it make it behave like a file server? Otherwise you wouldn't be able
to edit files.

Personally, I'd just go with Samba, as Jenn suggested, since you can setup
login screens for the Windows boxes that could help them map a drive.
Then they just need to click on my computer and access the file server
like they would a local disk.

As for security, you might check the device that came with the DSL
connection. If it's a router, it may have a firewall on it, or at least
NAT.  This could be the first level of defense. Then you could
additionally setup the file server with firewall software, but this may
not be necessary.  Personally, I prefer single-function firewalls to keep
things simpler (meaning another box as a firewall or something like a
SonicWall appliance), but, as Jenn suggested, you could have the file
server sit between the Windows computers and the router and filter packets
in addition to serving files.  If you do some firewall stuff, consider
signing up for linuxchix-courses, where Raven is conducting a security
class.

You may also consider setting up DHCP to autoconfigure IP settings for
clients.  This can save a lot of headaches later on. Of course, there's a
chance that the router is doing this already ... I'd suggest a good first
step is to check out the router's capabilities and, if you don't have it,
get the login info for it.

Jen