[Techtalk] laptop + usb = :(

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu May 16 11:38:23 EST 2002

I'm having issues with my VAIO.  Again.  As y'all can see from the
subject, it's regarding USB this time.

I tried hooking up my digital camera, but I couldn't find the right device
for it, and I only succeeded in crashing gphoto a dozen times before
giving up.  (the new iMac has iPhoto, which is pretty nice.)

Now I'm trying to print (CUPS+gimp-print) to the USB printer, and it's not
talking to it at all.  The error in the CUPS admin GUI is "cannot find
device /dev/usb/lp0" (which does, in fact, exist, and has crw-rw-rw- as
its permissions, which match the functional on one my other computer
(which you nice folks helped me out with.))  Yes, the printer is on.  Yes,
it is connected in the USB port.

/proc/modules lists this as the usb modules:
usb-storage	38980 (initializing)
scsi_mod	95688	0 [usb-storage]
usb-uhci	21540	0 (unused)
usbcore		51712	1 [printer usb-storage usb-uhci]

then at the top of the list is this:
printer		5984 (initializing)

TIA,
Conni
still wondering why this has to be so difficult.

--
It is the blood that makes us human...
			-Leiji Matsumoto, _Adieu Galaxy Express 999_

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt