[Techtalk] File Sharing in Linux

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Thu May 16 19:23:19 EST 2002

I think the default config in SuSE blocks FTP.  I didn't install any
firewall, but can't FTP between my laptop (7.3 PPC) and my desktop
(8.0).

You most likely would do better with a secure transfer method like sftp
and scp.  They are based on the ssh stuff (make sure OpenSSH is
installed, probably in the default install).  A more complicated option
would be to create a shared drive, but I don't know the specifics of
that.  Basically it would involve allowed machine Y to mount a directory
or drive from machine X.

It is also possible to open the FTP ports, but I forget the specifics.
Check your SuSE manual or drop me and e-mail if you don't have the
manuals.  I have both 8.0 and 7.3 manuals here.  They should also be in
the distro. I can check the exact path if you need that.  If you have
the "Personal Edition," the refernce manual is also included on the
distro even though you don't get the book.