[Techtalk] Install not picking up NIC

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Wed May 15 10:59:00 EST 2002

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             15/05/02 10.59

All,

I recommended a week or so ago a document called :

Securing and Optimizing Linux - Red Hat Edition.

I have been following the tasks in said document to setup a
firewall/gateway for my home network. The document uses RH6.2 as it's base.

In the section on choosing what to install it goes through what is not
needed for the soon-to-be firewall. I followed this exactly. Trouble is
after installing all the packages and rebooting the chance to enter NIC
details never comes up. I have tried the trusty ifconfig and no luck.

When I try the following :
ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.101 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

I get :
SIOCSIFADDR : No such device
eth0 : unknown interface : No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK : No such device
eth0 : unknown interface : No such device

ifconfig on its own just brings up the loopback interface.

So my question is this : which package do I need during the install program
that will ensure that RH picks up my NIC and to make sure that I can
configure my NIC?

Regards,

Matt

  -> TECHTALK(a)LINUXCHIX.ORG