[Techtalk] why is my kernel so big???

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Fri May 10 12:51:26 EST 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Dave North wrote:

> d/n:
> > /boot/lilo is a link to /boot/lilo-graphic - there are quite a few
> > options here including lilo-text and lilo-menu... i'm sure you could
> > change them and possibly the playskool screen would disappear?
>
> I don't think so, but I'll look at it. The screen appears after lilo has
> released to initrd. It masks all the usual boot stuff. But who knows?
> 	Typically, lilo's images are just the fluff around the list of
> options available at the "prompt" screen.

The initial lilo screen is a lilo.conf option.  The way mandrake has been
putting this together is the link you see in /boot.  Change the link for
/boot/lilo to point to /boot/lilo-menu and rerun /sbin/lilo.  That should
get you a regular blue lilo menu at the beginning.

For the other happy purple nonsense that gets thrown up instead of the
system output,

rpm -qa | grep Aurora

and rpm -e everything that turns up.  There will probably be two packages,
though I don't remember what they are offhand, as I finally remembered to
start paying attention and leave off Aurora during the install.  It's so
annoying.  :P

But it won't hurt anything to get rid of it.  The init scripts go looking
for it, and if it's not there they act like normal.

--mandi