[Techtalk] why is my kernel so big???

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Fri May 10 12:08:37 EST 2002

complaints to: /dev/null

On Thu, 9 May 2002 18:20:44 -0700 (PDT)
Dave North <dave at timocharis.com> wrote:

> miriam:
> > i've recompiled... taken nearly everything out... and im
> > still getting this message:
> >
> > Root device is (3, 5)
> > Boot sector 512 bytes.
> > Setup is 4776 bytes.
> > System is 838kB
> >
> > is it possible that my boot sector is too small?....
>
> I don't think so...

dont worry, i found my mistake... doh! helps if you copy the compressed image not the full one! ;-)

> 	The bad news is, the resultant kernel hangs. Why? I don't even
> know where, since Mandrake so kindly includes the playskool startup screen
> that doesn't allow me to watch the progress of the kernel. That may or may
> not be a problem, since the screen never appears.

just mucking about in /boot... i noticed that my /boot/lilo is a link to /boot/lilo-graphic - there are quite a few options here including lilo-text and lilo-menu... i'm sure you could change them and possibly the playskool screen would disappear? i know i've had a full text mode boot up before on mandrake, its only since 8.2 that i got this weird screen,...

> 	In past experience, trying to set up mandrake on a vaio laptop
> turned out to be literally impossible due to broken pcmcia yenta crap they
> put in 8.1 ...
> 	So. I don't know if this helps at all, reallly. I can build a
> kernel that lilo is happy with, but it won't run!
> 	If I actually liked mandrake, I'd probably be more upset. But this
> is just another in a long string of "oh wells" I've addressed at that
> "distro" of "linux."

and mandrake is a strange one for sure...
thats what led me to be recompiling in the first place, because im convinced they muck about too much with the kernel, i can never get sound happening in mandrake without hacking about...

wish me luck.. here goes!

bw

miriam