[Techtalk] copy paste question

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu May 9 17:20:14 EST 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 03:41:14PM +0100 or thereabouts, Pól Ó Dubhthaigh wrote:

> Well if you got a 3 button mouse the 3rd button should paste that's standard
> Unix procedure. You using Gnome or KDE? if your using kde i know u can configure
> your mouse buttons as to what they do.
> Been a while since i use RH7.1 am already on RH7.3 ;-)

There is a utility in RH for sorting your mouse out, if you end up
with a two-button mouse and "emulate three buttons" not switched on.
(Which is what's going on here: "emulate three button-mouse" is
what lets the "press both buttons" thing behave as the third button.)

I thought it was Xconfigurator. But it might be mouseconfig.
It's /usr/sbin/mouseconfig so I presume from the path you need
to be root to run it.

Man page for mouseconfig specifically mentions
       --emulthree
              Specifies that X11 should cause a two button  mouse
              to  emulate  a three button mouse when both buttons
              are pressed together. Use only for two button mice.

I don't know whether this is RH-specific or more generic than that.

Telsa