[Techtalk] Soundcard not cooperating.

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed May 8 17:58:51 EST 2002

On May 8, Laurel Fan conjectured:

> The permissions are read and write by owner only, owned by user conni
> and group root, so it looks like you should have permissions to write
> to it...

I thought I did ...

> Have you tried just catting a file to the audio device?  (catting a
> wav file to /dev/dsp should play the wav file, but if you don't have
> one handy, you can use pretty much any file, it'll just sound bad).

I tried it with an mp3, which sort of buzzed and hissed, so I ripped a
short song as a wav, and tried that, which also sort of buzzed and hissed.
(The syntax is 'cat foo.wav /dev/dsp' right?)

Conni
wondering why this has to be during finals.

--
Lain:  A whole new level of "what?"
			-Robin

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt