[Techtalk] Soundcard not cooperating.

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed May 8 17:32:48 EST 2002

New VAIO still giving me trouble.

So I fired up xmms, which barfed and told me the sound daemon wasn't
running.  So I manually started esd, and it told me the sound device was
inadequate for esound.  Fatal.

Perplexed, I rebooted.  This fixed the problem.

Until just now, when I got home, started my computer, ripped some new mp3s
and wanted to listen to them.  Nothing from gqmpeg.  Esd at the command
line gives the result of a bunch of probes, then
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

I rebooted, since that fixed it last time.  No such luck.
crw-------    1 conni    root      14,   3 Aug 30  2001 /dev/dsp
crw-------    1 conni    root      14,   3 Aug 30  2001 /dev/audio

I haven't fully gotten the hang of permissions yet, but this means that
the owner can read and write, and root owns it, but I'm using it?  What
does the c mean?  (d is directory, I know)

Augh.  I hate it when something that *works* decides to quit.

Conni
the flustered

--
"My mom lost her eyebrows."