[Techtalk] Rescue data in a hung vi process?

Amanda Babcock alb at quandary.org
Wed May 8 15:48:30 EST 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 12:29:03PM -0700, Laurel Fan wrote:

> On the other hand, if vi crashed, it may well have done so because of
> a memory bug that also caused it to lose some of your data.

Interesting.

vi didn't actually exit, though.  It's still running and responds to
signals.  Could it still be a memory bug?

Interestingly, I just remembered /var/tmp/vi.recover and tried to run
vi -r on the file, and vi -r CRASHED.  It complained that it couldn't
recover line 21 and line 22, and put ^@^@^@ in the command line, and
exited.

Could a memory bug cause the vi.recover file to be corrupt?

I have the feeling I'm not going to get anything out of this.

It's been educational, anyway.  Thanks for all the help!

Amanda