[Techtalk] Module question

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Tue May 7 09:57:11 EST 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> I found out that the module is ne2000.o

Uh oh. You may have some complications there. The ne2K is a weird offshoot
of NIC design and there are several driver issues associated with it (it's
basically sorta like a winmodem, or more accurately a novellnic. I have
one I *never* got to work under any circumstances, which is kind of
sad because it's the only thing that works in my old zenith notebook).
	The point is, just because it works in one linux environment
doesn't mean it will work in another, and failure of configurations
becomes much more complicated.
	For something of a run-down and problems you might confront (and
some solutions) consider perusing:
	http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html

I'm not saying the ne2k _won't_ work, but I am saying it will make
diagnostic problems a bit more complicated. If the opportunity presents
itself, old tulip cards can be had cheaply (but are hard to identify).
	Currently I'm a 3com 3c905 fan, simply because they are easy to
identify and work everywhere. But they cost more, of course...
	I wonder: what's the hot deal on good linux NICs these days?
Anybody?