[Techtalk] Networking at home

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Mon May 6 11:05:28 EST 2002

I managed to set my network up by reading this newbie-ised help file on
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/eznetshare.html.  I used
PMFirewll with my Slack 7.0 (at the time) setup and a 2.2.13 kernel.  It was
easy.  Since then I have upgraded, added IMAP mail, DCHP for the internal
IPs, SAMBA for file & printer sharing and a bunch of services.

Good luck with the firewall.  I think having the linux box as the router
forced me to learn a lot about linux and also showed me its power.

Jenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Lemanski, Lahoma J. [mailto:LJLemanski at mail.ifas.ufl.edu]
Sent: 2002 May 06 10:57 AM
To: Techtalk (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Techtalk] Networking at home

-----Original Message-----
From: Conor Daly [mailto:conor.daly at oceanfree.net]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 3:47 AM
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org

For a really quick and easy way to get your linux box routing for your home
network, get firestarter. I have used firestarter for quite some time, and
was really surprised when IBM Developer Works had an article on using it to
jumpstart your linux firewall. It is quick and easy, and sets up your basic
scripts for you, and then you can edit and configure as you deem neccessary.

Good Luck,
Lahoma Lemanski

 SNIP*****
> I'm looking for either a easy-to-read document on networking GNU/Linux
> and Windows 98SE, using the Linux box as the router with a 2.4.x kernel.
> Or perhaps, someone could suggest which script to scrutinice next after
> reading the following.
>
> I'd tried to follow the Net-HOWTO but only got so far.  All I want to do
> is network two Windows 98SE machines to a Debian Woody GNU/Linux using a
> 2.4.18 kernel.  I want to use the Linux box to act as a router for the
> 98 machines i.e. allowing them to access the internet

---
My Antivirus Program says that this one is clean